jeudi 24 janvier 2008

Blog post of the day : Tech PR Gems 2007

Today's blog post of the day is actually a year old. It's fascinating in that it's a snapshot of the pre-Facebook era, back when MySpace commanded the spotlight. Ok, maybe fascinating to me and a few other social media freaks with a sense of the historical. But fascinating nonetheless.

I feel like I've opened a time capsule.

In her post, the blogger gives some visibility to Tretorn/Puma, whose PR rep (Karl) set up a MySpace page, invited tons of 'hot chicks' as a means to to lure in men to his MySpace page (kinda like a Ladies' night at the local club), then proceeded to give free Tretorn running shoes away to his 'friends'.

Here's what the blogger wrote in her post:

All I was told I had to do was wear them and tell everyone what I thought of them. So I decided, a blog post would work. I LOVE the shoes. They are fun, snazzy, colorful and comfortable and everyone constantly asks where I got them when I wear them out.

Blog post here

Be sure to read the comment thread. Karl contributes actively, and is transparent about his strategy. I've added a comment of my own, hoping for a where-are-they-now kind of update on the campaign. I see a Facebook group (not started by Karl) but it's not going anywhere fast, from the looks of things.

As for the MySpace page, it seems to have been taken down. Campaign over, I guess.

So there it is. A new PR blog for the blogroll and a 'new' case study on my social media radar. Here's hoping Karl gets back to me.

Tech PR Gems blog : Thoughts and insights at the intersection of technology and public relations in the 21st century from the folks at Topaz Partners.

Aucun commentaire: