His presentation touches on the use of social media during the recent California fire disaster.
- Website wasn't adapted for the crisis. Information related to the fire was minimal, not particularly relevant. Irrelevant information, such as a photo contest, were not moved off the home page.
- Keyword search : words 'help', 'assist' weren't as predominant as the word 'governor'.
- Used a news organisation's website for mapping purposes
- Didn't take advantage of all available tactics
- 'Went old school'
- Used Twitter feeds
- Flickr pages for geotagged photos
- Video on YouTube
- The PBS website received 31 times its normal tracking - was recognized as an authoritative source of information
- Started a blog
- 1.3 million impressions of their map in the first few days of the fire